Ron's RecordLearn About Ron's Record of Service
Senator Latz was appointed by his colleagues to serve as the chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee and Judiciary Finance Division. He also serves on the Senate Finance Committee and the Commerce Committee. As chair of the Judiciary Committee, through his role on the Finance and Commerce Committees and as an outspoken voice for SD 46 on the Senate Floor, he has championed the following issues:
- Drug Sentencing Reform to ensure that addicts are treated like addicts and drug dealers are given the sentences they deserve. Ron authored the bill in 2016 that accomplished a landmark reform to our sentencing structure for controlled substances.
- Prison Population Reform to reduce the ballooning rate of incarceration in our expensive state prisons through passing funding for drug and mental health treatment in prisons and better services for reentry into our communities. Ron formed and chaired the Prison Population Task Force in 2015, a group of experts in the field of criminal justice and corrections, to better understand effective policies to both ensure public safety and better rehabilitate those who are incarcerated.
- Police Worn Body Camera Regulations to protect individual privacy as well as provide transparency between law enforcement and the communities they protect.
- Increased penalties for serious assaults committed due to bias against a person’s race, national origin, religion, or sexual orientation.
- Exoneration Act provided compensation for those who are wrongfully convicted and imprisoned.
- Child Victim Act…
- Funding Initiatives – juror per diem increase…
- Successful bonding projects in the district…
- A leader on securing Southwest Light Rail Transit funding…
- A fierce advocate for reasonable and responsible solutions to ending gun violence in our communities. As the chief author of bills to establish a universal background check requirement as well as to provide for a protection order that would remove firearms from those who are the most dangerous among us, he has led the charge on the issue in the Minnesota Senate. He is committed to continuing the fight in future legislative sessions until common-sense policy to reduce gun violence prevails.
- Children’s Defense Fund – Children’s Champion
- MN Association for Justice – Consumer Protection & Civil Justice Award
- League of Minnesota Cities – Legislator of Distinction, 20__ and 2016 [year?]
- Conservation Minnesota – 100% rating
- Citizen League – Civic Leadership Award
- National Center for Victims of Crime – 2013 Child Protection Award
- MN Supreme Court – Administration of Justice and Leadership Award, 2013, and Purple Gavel Award, 2015
- Youth Intervention Program Association – 2015 Legislative Champion for Youth
- MN Legal Aid – 2015 Pro Bono Publico Award
- MN Chiefs of Police Association – 2015 Legislator Recognition Award
- MN Fire Chiefs Association – 2015 Fire Chiefs Award
- MN Coalition Against Sexual Assault – 2015 Aware Award
- Voices for Racial Justice – 2016 Champion for Racial Equity